I Timothy 2:1,2 1 First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.
What are some key things we can pray specifically for governing leaders at all levels and all spheres of influence? (from notes by Dick Eastman)
- That unrighteous leaders will make mistakes that actually advance the gospel. (Ps. 109:29 Let my accusers be clothed with dishonor, And let them cover themselves with their own shame as with a robe.)
- That tyrannical leaders fall from power through unsound advice. (Ps. 5:10 Hold them guilty, O God; By their own devices let them fall! In the multitude of their transgressions thrust them out, For they are rebellious against You.)
- That Godly leaders discover and apply spiritual wisdom by which to govern. (Prov. 28:2 When a country is rebellious, it has many rulers, but a man of understanding and knowledge maintains order.)
- That all leaders receive a personal witness of the gospel. (Isa. 52:15 so will he sprinkle many nations, and kings will shut their mouths because of him. For what they were not told, they will see, and what they have not heard, they will understand.)
- That all leaders realize their authority comes from God and they will be held accountable for how they exercise it. (Dan. 2:20-21 “Let the name of God be blessed forever and ever, For wisdom and power belong to Him. 21 ”It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men And knowledge to men of understanding.”)
These are desperate times calling us to much prayer.